Saturday, July 14, 2007

Bare Necessities



Alright! Update time for those of you who read this online mess I call a journal. So, there was a typhoon this weekend. It didn't really hit Fukuoka too bad, but I was scared to leave my apartment yesterday for fear of being stuck downtown from them shutting down the public transport. They didn't shut it down, and I could have gone out, but I didn't. However! I did learn about 40 new vocab words and couple of new grammerz. So all is well, no? I also saved some money by eating the food that was in my fridge.
This morning at about 5am was the Yamakasa festival. I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to make it (which I wasn't) so I went to the practice races on Friday. It was pretty much the actual Yamakasa race, so it's all good. It had all the teams of pantsless men running down the streets, which was all I wanted to see anyway. Haha. Actually, I was planning on taking heaps of uncomfortable and slightly amusing pictures of Japanese man oshiri for you guys to see, but I left my camera battery charging in my apartment. Oh well, if you wanna see, I'll upload a picture, and you can look at more on the net. Try to find a video of the race, it's really cool. Me and a few other Americans were standing on the side of the road yelling "OISAH!" with all of the racing men. I think we threw off their groove a bit, but we got some laughs from 'em. It was a lot of fun. Little Japanese babies and kids dressed up for the festival is the cutest thing ever. I would have eaten more squid sushi to have had my camera battery then.
Oh, and another thing is, I saw some squid sashimi being eaten the other day. If the sushi man kills the squid, puts it on the plate, and you eat it right away, the tentacles will squirm around. It looked actually quite hard to catch the slimey things with chopsticks. I wanna try it.

Ok! 終わり!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Too Funny!

Adam SheF said...

What a wacky festival! You should have joined in...;) That would have been a really interesting blog post. Maybe next year. You rock Derek!

SouthAsiaRocks said...

haha! That's hilarious!! I agree with Adam - you should have found a way to join in the festivities!