Sunday, August 2, 2009

isahaya! hello!

i'm finally here in isahaya! the last few weeks have been quite the blur. rushing to houston, flying to tokyo, having non-stop speeches and workshops to attend from 9am to dusk for two days, and then opening a bank account, getting a cell phone, applying for a foreigner registration card, filling out forms, forms, forms, forms! (collapses)

however, the last couple of days i have finally had a chance to relax. last night was a electronic/house dance party, and the night before the employees of the board of education (boe) threw me and ben (the other new isahaya guy) a welcome party (called enkai). not bad! however, even the new guys had to pitch in to cover the cost of festivities - to the sound of 60 bucks! wow! however, it was good times! i was required to sing a song at karaoke (all in japanese) that i had never heard before simply because they found one titled "louisiana." :D

i'm taking my board around tonight. this place is perfect for longboarding.

i have found myself in a beautiful place. when i have a chance, i'll upload pictures. i live in a decently-sized little apartment right next to the train station and a river. there are hills and mountains all about! well, time to write some emails and crack into my men's fashion magazine. hurray summer edition "men's egg"!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Derek! Your city sounds amazing! I'm jealous of the scenery.I'm so proud of you! Let me know if you need more money... I still have both kidneys and I only need the one. o.0
Love you!

mom :) said...

yay!! Sounds like a beautiful place. Glad you are finally getting settled. Is the train station loud? Put a Japanese coin on the track for me. (spy mode) Put some pics up soon. :)

Misfits said...

Hey Derek, sounds like a lot of fun!! I hope you can get some pics up soon. It sounds really pretty. E-mail me sometime soon. :) -sister

Ryan A. said...

お帰り。俺も福岡におるぞ。おいでおいで。ダンスしに行こう

Karen Lunagirl said...

Hey Buddy! Glad you got there in one large piece. We're all thinking of you. Isaac says "hello", John says "U-u-u-m-m-m-m". We love you. ...Michael n 'em