Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Jet lag is bad for your future.

Well, it’s been an interesting few days. I got lost on the bus the first day, but I think it have it semi-figured out now. There are tons of buses that run through the station that I get on and it’s hard to figure out which one to take. The bus guide that I got doesn’t really help out very much, as the buses often stray from the routes that the map says their supposed to go on. Oh, and it will never get old seeing some old businessman in a suit or businesswoman in high heels running as you never though a short little Asian person can run to get to the bus/train/subway/etc on time. They fly, like ninjas. Oh! That reminds me. I have yet to see a ninja and I’m quite disappointed. However, from what I’m told, they’re very dangerous and you only see them after they’ve stabbed/cut/killed you. So maybe it’s for the best.
My classmates are all very interesting people. They aren’t all the unsocial, greasy, overweight anime nerds that I was afraid they were going to be. They’re all actually very normal! Oh! And manga, Japanese comics in book form, are read by all. It’s quite normal to see a Japanese businessman of 40 years old or older wearing a suit and tie, holding a briefcase in one hand, and in the other hand holding the newest Shonen Jump magazine while doing a little dance to balance on the train. I went into a four story manga and anime store today. It was very, uh, interesting. It’s really amazing going into a store with four floors of tightly packed rows of comics upon comics. And about that dance that some people do on trains. It’s very amusing to watch. I saw this old man doing it just last night. He had stinky armpits or he was too cool to hold onto the rings on the ceiling or something, but he just stood there with his hands by his side. He never moved his feet to balance himself. If the train lurched he would bend his knees, learn forward, backward, to the side, all in one fluid motion. He was a little exaggerated, and the people around him seemed just as entertained as I was. Awesome.
Ugh, what can I say about jet lag? I think I’m experiencing it for the first time. I feel dazed during the afternoon and I get sleepy fast. I’ve had a bit of a cold today and I’m going to go to bed early to try to sleep it off. Here’s hoping.
(Written on June 6 at 9:40pm)

- Derek

p.s. I’m having a hard time trying to find time to get on the internet. I commute for 3 hours a day, and I have homework, etc. Also, it’s not easy to find a place to use the internet after school that doesn’t require you to give them your right arm and big toe. Either foot’s is fine. Tomorrow’s mission: Find a FREE internet café! WOO! Goodnight America, Taiwan, and Tokyo!

p.p.s. Leave me comments! It makes me feel loved. And please, leave your name as well. I’m not sure what everyone’s alias is. Thanks!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL, that picture you posted was one of my favorites from your photo album.

Have fun,
Amanda

Unknown said...

Once again, I'm quite impressed with your photos. I was sure hoping that you'd take a lot of pics. Maybe you should ask Evie for one of her Chinese remedies and see if it'll help your jet lag. :) You could take some ginko and ginseng. I'm sure they have a tone of it and it'll help your energy. -Jess (on Jessie's name)

Larry said...

You're an artist with words. After I read your blog, I feel as if I've been to Japan and have pictures to show everyone. Just haven't figured out how to download the images from the antique floppy drive in my head to the computer and on to the printer. Oh well, you get the picture. As for as your pictures, you may not be a shutter bug, but you are quite good with the perspective. Maybe I should have sent you with a bigger memory stick. Love ya man.

Kyousuke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kyousuke said...

Hey bud , Thanx 4 post a picture of myself on your website . I know u love me lol
Hope you can get good Japanese friend there like me lol
Have a fun !!!

Ryan Smith said...

Does your phone record video? I wanna see this dance.

Have a fun. :P