Saturday, June 16, 2007

New entry! Get!



Well, I think I'll take this time to talk about some of the things that have surprised me while I've been here. I'll add more as I think of them in later posts. びっくり!

* Store clerks yell "IRASHAIMASE!", which means "welcome," super loud even if noone is around.
* There are no street signs. Your guess is as good as mine as to which street I'm on at any time.
* Every restaurant sells noodles almost. There is little variety with Japanese restaraunts.
* Bus drivers turn off their buses and headlights at every redlight.
* There are no stop signs. The occasional signal light at big intersections can be found.
* No one tips anywhere. Apparently it's sometimes ok to tip the taxi man.
* If you ask for a drink with no ice, they only fill up your cup half full.
* The way they drive bikes around here, I still haven't seen anyone get slammed.
* You never hand anyone your money when you buy things, you always put it on a designated tray.
* Japanese businessmen are adamant comic readers.
* Japanese businessmen have some of the craziest hair I've ever seen. Mohawks, spiked, colored, everything and anything.
* Every girl wears high heels.
* Every girl who is riding a bike is usually riding it with high heels on.
* People take baths here after they clean by way of shower. However, the whole family uses the same bath water. No wasting!

My brain isn't working right now. I can't think of all of them, as there are many. I'll try to do a "surprising things" list 2.0 sometime. Farewell!

p.s. There are some things that aren't surprising. McDonald's is just as bad here, and there's a Starbucks at every corner.
*

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Business men with mohawks! You mean tv has been lying to us all these years! What about the conservative straightlaced business men we were led to believe in.

I demand pictures of these mohawked, spicked and colored business men.

Please ^_^

SouthAsiaRocks said...

DEREK! Hey!! DUDE! That's awesome that you're in Japan!! how cool!!! That ROCKS!! Hey, on your way home, if you want to come and visit us, you're always welcome :) Yeah! I'm glad I know your blog now! very fun! Keep rockin!!

Adam SheF said...

I call dibs on the first bath! Great blog post! I love interesting cultural things. Have you found any DDR Challengers over there?